and a private wing of the house (1853) added by Scott’s granddaughter Charlotte and her husband John Hope-Scott – the house was already open to visitors. John was a friend of Anglican priest John Henry Newman, and they were both leaders of the Oxford Movement, a movement to return the church to a richer medieval form of worship, also deeply conservative and against liberal theology. Newman later converted to Catholicism and was eventually made cardinal. The vestments were his, given to the Hope-Scotts. The RC chapel still holds services once a month.
The chapel at Abbotsford (1855)
15 Sep This entry was published on September 15, 2017 at 8:03 am and is filed under Uncategorized.